I am currently in Week 7 of Co-Coordinating (really learning from my awesome mentors!) Financial Peace University. Not a day goes by that I am not grateful to God for the unexpected blessings I have received! Not only has my son graduated from college with an Engineering Degree debt free (NO STUDENT LOAN DEBT!), I am also debt free except my home! There is no way this would have been done without GOD so it just seemed fitting that I should give back by providing hope and encouragement to others, as I have received myself. Sometimes I try to ignore the small, inner voice that is guiding me to take the next right action. Eventually, however, that nagging voice won’t stop until I do what I am called to do.
The Medina’s, featured with me in the photo, were a part of my own personal support group during times of major stress! They kept me afloat while I transitioned from divorce to the single life, at one point thinking that divorce meant I would not reach any of my financial goals. Once again, they immediately said yes when I called upon them as FPU mentors! While I am still working hard to complete my last two financial goals (it took seven years to get to this point based on the mountain of debt I had when I started), I felt I was called to become a source of encouragement for others that feel becoming debt free isn’t possible for them ! It can be done, you only need to find others that have sacrificed to get where you want to go! (We become like the people we spend the most time around, so choose wisely). I am so grateful for the FPU Coordinator that lead my class (as well as my own support system that helped me through the storm!). We all have the same 24 hours in a day, and he could have been taking care of other priorities on a Sunday night! I’m so glad he chose to volunteer to lead me on this journey!
Below is just an FYI, just in case you feel what you are doing as a volunteer isn’t making a difference!
We all need inspiration and biblical reinforcement for what we do.
Here are 25 bible verses that speak to God’s purpose and expectation for us to serve others. Enjoy!
- “God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.” Hebrews 6:10
- “Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.” Proverbs 11:25
- “The greatest among you will be your servant.” Matthew 23:11
- “Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.” Luke 6:38
- “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Mark 10:45
- “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:102
- “Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves. Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord. Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Share with God’s people who are in need. Practice hospitality.” Romans 12:9-13
- “So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith.” Galatians 6:101
- “But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil.” Luke 6:35
- “I have shown you in every way, by laboring like this, that you must support the weak. And remember the words of the Lord Jesus, that He said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.” Acts 20:35
- “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:10
- “Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Remember that the Lord will give you an inheritance as your reward, and that the Master you are serving is Christ.” Colossians 3:23-24
- “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters,you were doing it to me!’ Matthew 25:40
- “Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.”
- “Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: ‘They have freely scattered their gifts to the poor; their righteousness endures forever.”
2 Corinthians 9:7-9
- “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love. For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Galatians 5:13-14
- “This is a trustworthy saying. And I want you to stress these things, so that those who have trusted in God may be careful to devote themselves to doing what is good. These things are excellent and profitable for everyone.” Titus 3:8
- “Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always strive to do what is good for each other and for everyone else.” 1 Thessalonians 5:15
- “Little children, let us not love with word or with tongue, but in deed and truth.” 1 John 3:18
- “Now after this the Lord appointed seventy others, and sent them in pairs ahead of Him to every city and place where He Himself was going to come. And He was saying to them, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.”
- “Then I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, “Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?” Then I said, “Here am I. Send me!” Isaiah 6:8
- “When he had washed their feet and put on his outer garments and resumed his place, he said to them, “Do you understand what I have done to you? You call me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am. If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet.”
- “Even as the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.” Matthew 20:28
- “So if there is any encouragement in Christ, any comfort from love, any participation in the Spirit, any affection and sympathy, complete my joy by being of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others. Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus, …” Philippians 2:1-11
- “And he sat down and called the twelve. And he said to them, “If anyone would be first, he must be last of all and servant of all.” Mark 9:35